What did I use to take that shot?

Subash pdml.live at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 09:44:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 01:45:21 -0400
John Francis <johnf at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:21:07AM +0530, Subash wrote:
> > programme previously. the latest version outputs this when given a
> > jpg (converted from a pef) file path: "? unrecognised file"
>
> That's because whatever you are using for conversion is stripping the
> EXIF data; while the file may be a JPEG file, it doesn't contain any
> tags (or at least none I can find).  This makes ScanTags pointless.
> If you give it a JPEG produced in-camera, or produced by software
> (such as Photoshop) that preserves the EXIF data, it should show you
> the tags.

my bad. actually the converter i use does not strip the exif tags
but that particular jpeg i ran the programme with *had* been stripped
of its exif tags. but i have since tried it with other jpegs
that do have the exif info  with more or less the same results. i
get the output:

 "? Can't find EXIF data in /path/*.jpg".

i've tried it plenty jpegs that do have exif info with the same
results. for now, it seems to work only with pefs.

> > it still doesn't give the lens name though: for a pef file taken
> > with the fa 50/1.4, this was the output:
> >
> > Camera Model:   PENTAX K10D
> >   Lens Name:      - - -  (4, 12)
>
> Hmm.  I wonder how that one got left out?    Fixed in latest version.

works now though the sigma 10-20 gets identified as "SIGMA 18-50mm
F3.5-5.6/12-24mm F4.5/Tamron 35-90mm F4 AF".

i downloaded, hopefully the latest version. time to add version numbers
perhaps? :)