What did I use to take that shot?

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Sat Oct 10 01:45:21 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:21:07AM +0530, Subash wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:13:15 -0400
>
> the latest version works, and, as i just discovered, the previous
> version too. i had mistakenly thought that the programme works both for
> jpgs and pefs. i was passing the filename of a jpg to the programme
> previously. the latest version outputs this when given a jpg (converted
> from a pef) file path: "? unrecognised file"

That's because whatever you are using for conversion is stripping the
EXIF data; while the file may be a JPEG file, it doesn't contain any
tags (or at least none I can find).  This makes ScanTags pointless.
If you give it a JPEG produced in-camera, or produced by software (such
as Photoshop) that preserves the EXIF data, it should show you the tags.

> it still doesn't give the lens name though: for a pef file taken with
> the fa 50/1.4, this was the output:
>
> Camera Model:   PENTAX K10D
>   Lens Name:      - - -  (4, 12)

Hmm.  I wonder how that one got left out?    Fixed in latest version.

> thanks. it's a quick and nifty programme still....

Another feature you might find useful:  If you run it as a command-line
utility like this:

    ScanTags @FileList.txt >ScanTags.txt

where FileList.txt contains a list of file paths, one per line, you can
process a whole lot of files at one time.