PESO - Ghosts in the Room

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:50:05 EDT 2009

Eactivist at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/9/2009 6:12:03 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
> bruce.walker at gmail.com writes:
>
> That's an arresting shot, Marnie. I love  the light/mood. I agree with
> staying as colour, but I'd use more noise  reduction on it myself.
>
> -bmw
>
> ==========
> How? I developed this  in Lightroom for a change (instead of Elements 5).
> And not sure how. Certainly  willing to try some noise reduction (this is
> before I realized I had it in  camera and didn't have it on). Like it less
> noisy. If I have to buy noise ninja  or something, nope.
>
> But still learning the developing angle in Lightroom  so any suggestions
> how to reduce the noise is welcome.

I'm not a LR user, but I use Adobe Camera Raw and all of its features
are mirrored and expanded on in LR. So ...

Look for the Detail tab. You need to scroll down the Processing settings
panel to locate it.  You will see two sub-sections: Sharpening and Noise
Reduction.

First critical step: set your view magnification to 100% (or higher;
100% is best). The NR settings will have no visible effect unless mag is
100%.

For the kind of noise you get from Pentax bodies I find that the Color
control is pretty much useless above its default setting (25).  So slide
the Luminance slider upwards to suit. Typical values:

  20-30 for ISO 200-400
  40-50 for ISO 800-1600

Don't overdo it! At 100% you are seriously pixel-peeping so *all* noise
looks worse than it will actually appear in a small JPEG or on paper
when printed. You should just reduce the noise enough to reduce the
clearly visible colour speckles.  You may need to experiment once by
saving images at different NR settings to see how they look at normal
viewing size.

NR will tend to dull your image so you'd normally move up to the
Sharpening panel after setting NR to recover some sharpness. If you just
pull the Amount slider up around 70-100 you'll likely be OK, but I
usually also set the Masking level to avoid sharpening the left-over
noise in larger flat-colour areas (which makes it worse and more obvious
again).  Hint: hold down the Option key (Mac) or Alt (PC) while moving
the Masking slider and you'll see the masked area dynamically. White
areas will have sharpening applied.

This will all be much more effective in LR 2.x. If you have LR 1, it
works but isn't as powerful.

Enjoy!

-bmw