K7 at 3200 ISO

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:23:55 EDT 2009

Tim Øsleby wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Christine  Aguila <caguila at earthlink.net>:
>> I forgot to post these.  I tried the K7 at Central Camera a while back.
>> These were shot as jpegs, aperture priority, pattern metering, no exposure
>> bias.  These are 1200 pixels on the long end and fairly big files.
>> Shutter/aperture info is stated above shot.  Just an FYI.
>>

>> Straight jpeg @ 3200 *no* noise reduction in lightroom
>> http://www.caguila.com/caguila/k73200iso/content/k7_test_photos_4_of_14__large.html
>>

>> Straight jpeg @ 3200 *noise reduction in lightroom:  luminance & color
>> slider all the way to 100*
>> http://www.caguila.com/caguila/k73200iso/content/k7_test_photos_4_of_14__1_large.html
>>

>> Cheers, Christine
>>

> Interesting. That's a lot cleaner than what I've learned to expect from K20D.

I've seen noise performance like that from the K20D, and darned close
from the K100Ds.  The _critical_ thing is getting proper exposure.  If
you tweak up any dark areas after the fact, the noise shows up.  If
Christine were to play with the Fill Light slider, or had shot these
down a stop and raised it up, you'd see way more noise here.

So you *should* get relatively low noise like this from your K20, Tim.
The trouble I find is that in really dark rooms one tends to underexpose
a stop or two to keep the shutter speed high enough for hand-holding or
monopod use.

-bmw