New macro lens

Larry Colen lrc at
Thu Oct 8 17:00:52 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:53:32AM -0700, Jo?o Moreira wrote:
> After falling from my hands, my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 went to the lenses heaven, so I'm looking for a new macro lens to use with my K10D.
> I am wondering if someone can give me some advice. Should I buy one of the Pentax macro lenses:
> Pentax D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro AF
> Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro AF
> or keep with Tamron and buy the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 AF Macro Lens?
> Are there any other good options?

I've got the D-FA 50/2.8 and the Tamron SP 90/2.5, but find myself
wanting the D-FA 100. I haven't tried the 90/2.8 1:1, but I don't find
my 90 enough longer than my 77 to make it worth using it, rather than
just cropping the 77 in post production.

I got the 90 because there are a lot of times that I can't, or don't
want to, get close enough to make use of the 50's macro abilities. On
the other hand, there are a lot of times I use the 50 because there
isn't room to use the 90.

Do you already have a reasonably fast 50 or 100mm lens? I've seen some
really nice stuff done with the 100/2.8 as a normal (non macro) lens.

> I am assuming that both Pentax lenses were built for digital cameras, so fited for the APS-C size image sensor. Is this correct?

Both will cover a 24x36 sensor (FA), but are also optimized for
digital sensors (D-), hence the D-FA designation.