The BS of Digital Photography

Adam Maas adam at mawz.ca
Wed Oct 7 23:19:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Doug Franklin
<jehosephat at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Bob W wrote:
>
>> I shoot raw, so I do have to post-process, but because I'm colour-blind I
>> keep the post-processing down to contrast adjustments, mainly just trying
>> get a decent tone curve, and some cropping and horizon levelling. It's
>> quick
>> and easy.
>
> I shoot RAW+JPG despite the cost in photos per SD card.  100% of the time, I
> archive both, since they're my "negatives".  99% of the time, I use the JPG.
>  The other 1% of the time I have the PEF handy to manipulate to see if I can
> save the shot from whatever stupidity I committed at capture time.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> DougF (KG4LMZ)

I shoot RAW+JPEG on the E-30 because it does really nice B&W
conversions (full set of colour filter options) and RAW on the G1
because it doesn't. Often enough I have both cameras set to B&W mode,
even if I expect to process for colour output. I tend to use a
near-default conversion from RAW most of the time, but I've also
tweaked my defaults for the G1. I really need to spend an afternoon
tweaking a default setting for the E-30 as well.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca