The BS of Digital Photography

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 7 17:45:02 EDT 2009

David J Brooks wrote:

> I try and get it right in camera as well. I can have the nicest
> looking histo gram on the planet, but when i open it on the computer,
> they just need "something".

I assume your system is color calibrated?

I'm not typically shooting "art" as much as I am for "coverage".  At a
race, I try to get several shots of every car I can while it's on the
track.  I'll "stand" at one spot on the track and get a bunch of shots
in quick succession, several a minute.

In post, I won't be able to do all of the shots from the weekend in one
big batch, but I can often get batches of a few dozen to a couple of
hundred shots.  That makes a big difference when you're posting, say,
three thousand shots from four or five days.  Heck, I missed a day and a
half of the Petit le Mans, photographically, this year, and I still shot
over 1,500 frames.  So *I* *hate* *post*. :-)

Actually, these days, I shoot RAW+JPG and use the JPG files the vast
majority of the time.  Every once in a while I need the raw to clean up
some under or over exposure or because I can't avoid cropping the shot.
  But most of my post processing these days boils down to using the
"delete" key a lot.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)