Intermittent AF540FGZ problem

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 7 17:31:37 EDT 2009

Charles Robinson wrote:

> Now - since I have a month until the repair warranty runs out, I'd
> really like to have it checked out.  But what do I tell them?  "It works
> sometimes, but sometimes it does x,y,z"?  Basically I'm wondering what
> is the most sure-fire way to ensure that the people at Pentax Colorado
> (or wherever this flash ends up being repaired - sigh) take note of what
> I tell 'em and really get it sorted out.. before I'm on the hook for
> paying to repair it (again).

It sounds like one or more loose electrical connections somewhere.  Did
you try cleaning the contacts in the hot shoe and on the flash?  If not,
do so.  If so, I guess it depends on how adventurous you are and how
easy the flash is to get open.

If it's not the shoe contacts, my first suspect would be the
wires/connections that lead from the contacts in the foot up to the
circuit board.  Those should be easy to fix on the foot end, but likely
not on the circuit board end (likely to be a flexible circuit board that
would probably be damaged by normal soldering with a typical iron).

If it's neither of those, it might well be a cracked trace or weak
solder joint on the circuit board, which you can't fix yourself (unless
you have a circuit board to swap in).

It doesn't sound like the wiring from the circuit board to the
non-camera components, like the tube.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)