OT: Need help from a PC guru

Luiz Felipe luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br
Wed Oct 7 17:22:04 EDT 2009

Paul, some issues are related to faulty memory or hard disk. If she had
access to some linux (ubuntu and offspring) live-cd she would be able to
test memory from the cd system without further damaging her system.

I avoid xp reinstall on not empty hard drives when possible - there is
usually some junk from the previous systems and often the result is less
than adequate. Would she be able to save files elsewhere and format the
hard drive? It's possible to delete the system folders and leave
personal stuff on the disk, but the system restore areas have to go, for
the reinstallation sake.

Failing to install xp on a blank, formatted hard drive points to
hardware problems or faulty xp cd.

...no guru at all - but have some years installing systems, most of them
from M$. Feel welcome to contact me offlist or give her this address.

lf