OT: Nobel prize to inventor of CCD

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Wed Oct 7 14:35:15 EDT 2009

> 2009/10/7 Igor Roshchin <str at komkon.org>:
> > I am not sure why you singled out one of the two CCD inventors.
> > http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2009/index.html
>
> Heard the news on the radio, and from the way the sentences
> were strung together I got the impression that only one name
> was connected to the CCD.
>
> So a warm congrats to the other guy too!
>
> > The second half of the Nobel prize should be celebrated by all
> > internet users.
>
> Indeed! And by those who like fancy indoor lighting.

The 3rd guy to share the prize for physics, Professor Charles Kao, studied
here in Greenwich at Woolwich Polytechnic, now part of Greenwich University.
He won it for his work which led to the development of fibre optics. Thanks
to him NASA doesn't have to send rocket ships up to the Hubble telescope
every couple of hours to collect the film.

Bob