pef vs dng

Fernando fer.pdml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:51:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM, William Robb <warobb at gmail.com> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fernando"
> Subject: Re: pef vs dng
>

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Just to clean up any misunderstanding I may have caused; last night I
>> shot a DNG on my K20D, and open that in Capture One 4.
>>
>> The file is opened and can be processed; however the camera profile is
>> not automatically recognized and the preset white balance options are
>> reduced to "as shot" -none of the other options are present-. There
>> might be something else I didn't catch. Let me then change what I
>> said: Capture One does read and process DNG, but your workflow and
>> options are better supported by this software if you shoot .PEF. I
>> don't know if there are similar issues with other applications, I
>> leave that to those to use DxO, Bible or other.
>
> So what you are saying is that Capture one is broken out of the box.

Nope, for Pentax PEF is what they commit to fully support in their
documentation:
"Pentax: K7, K20D, K10D, K200D, K110D, K100D Super, K100D, *istDL2,
*istDL, *istD, *istDS2, *istDS (Only PEF files supported)"

"Adobe: DNG (raw DNG support only). The DNG support is not optimized
for specific cameras."

>> So, in my case with a K20D and Capture One, and even if I decided to
>> use DNG as archival format, I still find benefitial to shoot PEF for
>> the slightly better support I get on my conversion tool of choice, and
>> the better use of card space -If i need to run a batch process in my
>> PC to compress DNG I might as well run a batch process to convert PEF
>> to DNG-
>>
>> I can convert PEF to DNG anytime I want, the opposite -as of today- is
>> not easily achievable.
>
>I'm not quite certain why one would want to convert from DNG to PEF, so I'm not buying into the validity of your last sentence.

Capture One works better with PEF as I mentioned in my test; In DNG
you have an extra step to select camera profile, and even doing so you
still can't get some preset options in "white balance". Had I shot DNG
in the past and were to switch to Capture One without said
inconveniences I would require such conversion.

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/