pef vs dng

Fernando fer.pdml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:29:46 EDT 2009

Hi Mark,

Just to clean up any misunderstanding I may have caused; last night I
shot a DNG on my K20D, and open that in Capture One 4.

The file is opened and can be processed; however the camera profile is
not automatically recognized and the preset white balance options are
reduced to "as shot" -none of the other options are present-. There
might be something else I didn't catch. Let me then change what I
said: Capture One does read and process DNG, but your workflow and
options are better supported by this software if you shoot .PEF. I
don't know if there are similar issues with other applications, I
leave that to those to use DxO, Bible or other.

So, in my case with a K20D and Capture One, and even if I decided to
use DNG as archival format, I still find benefitial to shoot PEF for
the slightly better support I get on my conversion tool of choice, and
the better use of card space -If i need to run a batch process in my
PC to compress DNG I might as well run a batch process to convert PEF
to DNG-

I can convert PEF to DNG anytime I want, the opposite -as of today- is
not easily achievable.

This is my case and my case only; but if someone is in a similar
position as I am, he or she can benefit from reviewing a different
point of view ~in this case mine~

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/