pef vs dng

Mark Roberts mark at robertstech.com
Wed Oct 7 09:52:49 EDT 2009

William Robb wrote:

>From: "Fernando"
>
>> I'm just stating that, as of today, shooting DNG
>>restricts you from usign the full universe of raw converters out
>>there.
>
>There are a lot of advantages to DNG. So what if I miss out on a raw
>converter that I will never use? And how good can it be if it doesn't offer
>support for open source raw files?
>I mean really, it's not like they have to reverse engineer to support DNG.

Of course, as has been pointed out, Capture One *does* support DNG,
they just provide the scary disclaimer about camera-specific features
not necessarily being supported. There two reasons for their doing so,
both of which are conveniently covered by three-letter-acronyms: CYA
and FUD.

CYA (Cover Your Ass) is because they're worried about people bitching
when a new camera adds data that isn't currently supported. They're
just pre-emptively protecting themselves from whiners.

FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) is how they're trying to protect
their own interests: They don't want to kill the goose that keeps
laying the profitable (to them) egg of multiple new raw formats.