pef vs dng

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Wed Oct 7 01:42:33 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 01:16:58AM -0400, Fernando wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM, John Francis <johnf at panix.com> wrote:
> > Heck, it wouldn't be that difficult to write a DNG-to-(PEF/NEF/CRW/Whatever)
> > converter, if it were necessary.
>
> There is nothing out there today that can do that. I can convert all
> my PEFs to DNG tomorrow if I want to

That, in itself, should tell you something.
If it were worthwhile, somebody would do it.

> >As I've said before, there's nothing in a
> > PEF that isn't in a DNG file.
> Not every one agrees on that
> http://www.openraw.org/node/1482/

Believe what you like.  The facts are as I stated.
I know - I've written software to pull apart PEFs,
and to compare the contents with the contents of DNGs.
I can't speak for other formats (NEF, CRW, etc.), but I
can indeed state that DNGs contain everything from PEFs.
In fact the MakerNote tag - the repository for all the
Pentax-private data - is copied over bit-for-bit.

And I wouldn't exactly call openraw.org a disinterested
party, either - they have their own agenda, and seem to be
more interested in badmouthing Adobe than in anything else.
Despite Adobe's long history with maintaining the TIFF standard,
and in direct contradiction to what Adobe have publicly stated
about the DNG standard, they continue to tilt at the windmill
of DNG being "a proprietary standard, owned by Adobe".

> If you don't care about other raw converters that's fine ~that's what
> you have to weight, and that's why is a personal decision~ If you
> prefer Lightroom, and you think that's all you need today and in the
> future, and you are confident that DNG keeps all data that is in PEF,
> and you don't care about halving your card storage, and you don't care
> about hard drive space or running processes to compress DNGs, then
> fine, go with DNG.

You don't make your point any more convincing by exaggerating, either.
Even on a K10D, a PEF isn't half the size of a DNG.  With the advent
of compressed DNGs on the K-7 the issue becomes moot.