pef vs dng

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Wed Oct 7 00:10:47 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 08:56:20PM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fernando"
> Subject: Re: pef vs dng
>

>> I'm just stating that, as of today, shooting DNG
>> restricts you from usign the full universe of raw converters out
>> there.
>
> There are a lot of advantages to DNG. So what if I miss out on a raw
> converter that I will never use? And how good can it be if it doesn't
> offer support for open source raw files?
> I mean really, it's not like they have to reverse engineer to support DNG.

Heck, it wouldn't be that difficult to write a DNG-to-(PEF/NEF/CRW/Whatever)
converter, if it were necessary.  As I've said before, there's nothing in a
PEF that isn't in a DNG file.  Personally I find it somewhat hard to believe
that a RAW converter that knows how to pull some magic information out of a
PEF file to produce "better" converted images couldn't find the information
in a DNG file if it were worth doing.