Anyone have a utility to recover Corrupted PEF files?

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 23:41:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:21:20PM -0400, P. J. Alling scripsit:
> This is absolutely weird.   I can view it in Pentax Photo browser, with
> Ifranview or as a thumbnail using the Windows PEF Codec.  I get a CRC
> failure when I attempt to copy the files. I haven't seen a file fail
> with CRC failure for years.  Especially one that can be read by /any/
> program at all.  I've run a file structure and hardware diagnostic on
> the drive and there are no reported problems.  So I have data files that
> cannot be backed up with the standard copy utility.

You probably don't have a complete file; all of those viewers are going
to pull the embedded thumbnail (usually one camera LCD sized, plus one
full sized), and it comes before the actual raw data in the file.

Sounds like you've got a bad sector on the card, which is a bad sign for
the card, and probably means a chunk of the raw data is gone if the copy
operation fails.

You might want to run disk recover tools on the card and see what that
gets you. Flash memory should fail to read-only and the data may still
be there, and the problem is that the copy operation can't update some
aspect of the file meta-data.

-- Graydon