pef vs dng

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 23:15:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:56:49PM -0400, Doug Franklin scripsit:
> Independent of any of that stuff, if you want people to be able to
> easily view them decades from now, print them.  So far, paper is
> universal.  I know of no digital format that can make that claim with a
> straight face, and I won't believe it anyway until the format has been
> around and interchangeable for two or three or seven decades, minimum,
> at which point I'll likely be long dead. :-)

Well, coming up on 4 decades, we have roff, and all its various --
nroff, troff, groff -- descendants.  The examples in the original Bell
Labs papers work with current shipping open source groff.

Of course, that's not an image format, so it does a photographer little
good, but this _has_ been done.

-- Graydon, who should probably point out that he knows Unix man pages
are not what most people think of if they can help it.