pef vs dng

Fernando fer.pdml at
Tue Oct 6 22:47:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM, John Francis <johnf at> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:04:43PM -0400, Fernando wrote:
>> Well, it is not true for Capture One yet:
>> "Pentax: K7, K20D, K10D, K200D, K110D, K100D Super, K100D, *istDL2,
>> *istDL, *istD, *istDS2, *istDS
>> (Only PEF files supported)"
>> "Adobe: DNG (raw DNG support only). The DNG support is not optimized
>> for specific cameras."
> Of course it isn't.  Nor does it need to be - that's the point of DNG.

What I read from Capture one statement is that if you want the best
from their product you shoot PEF

>> >Of course you'll still be able to use today's tools to
>> > convert PEF to DNG, ?but that means you need the tools (and somewhere
>> > to run them) as well as the raw image files.
>> I don't see any problem in that statement.
> Apparently not.  But then, you're a geek.  Will your children be?
> They (or their children) are the ones that might want to read old
> image files.

As geek as you need to be if you are processing raw files 20 years
from now. You want future generations to enjoy your photos: print them
in archival paper, process them as TIFF 16bits . - Just to be clear-
nobody is stopping you from converting your files from .PEF to .DNG as
future back up, burn them into DVDs and tossing them in a safe, next
to grandma's jewelry, I'm just stating that, as of today, shooting DNG
restricts you from usign the full universe of raw converters out