The BS of Digital Photography

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 22:06:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 02:25:54PM -0400, Desjardins, Steve wrote:
> There are few perfect shots; almost anything can be processed in some way
> depending on your tastes.  Most problems were much harder to fix with film . . .

An example:  This is a shot I took out of the window shortly after taking
off from San Francisco.

    http://www.jfwaf.com/temp/SF1.jpg

With slides (and, pretty much, even with negative film) that's what you'd
end up with.  But with digital image processing it's easy to get this:

    http://www.jfwaf.com/temp/SF2.jpg

(That's done by simply clicking on the "Auto Levels" button in Elements).

That's one reason why I switched to digital image processing even when I
was still shooting film.  That still had dust spot problems, of course,
and scratches, and ... but DSLRs got rid of almost all of that.