pef vs dng

Fernando fer.pdml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 22:04:43 EDT 2009

Well, it is not true for Capture One yet:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=2045&LanguageID=1

"Pentax: K7, K20D, K10D, K200D, K110D, K100D Super, K100D, *istDL2,
*istDL, *istD, *istDS2, *istDS
(Only PEF files supported)"

"Adobe: DNG (raw DNG support only). The DNG support is not optimized
for specific cameras."

John Francis <johnf at panix.com> wrote:
> As, I'm sure, will be true of any and all raw converters released
> from now on.  The chance of anything reading PEFs twenty years from
> new is slim.
Maybe, no one knows

>Of course you'll still be able to use today's tools to
> convert PEF to DNG,  but that means you need the tools (and somewhere
> to run them) as well as the raw image files.
I don't see any problem in that statement.

Until Nikon and Canon adopt DNG as their raw format I don't see
converters needing to support DNG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/