pef vs dng

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 21:57:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:39:34PM -0400, Mark Roberts wrote:
> Fernando wrote:
>
> >~quick delurking~
> >
> >AFAIK you cannot convert .DNG to .PEF but you can always do the
> >opposite; some raw converters out there don't read .DNG -Capture One
> >comes to mind-
>
> Capture One *does* read DNG according to their web site.

As, I'm sure, will be true of any and all raw converters released
from now on.  The chance of anything reading PEFs twenty years from
new is slim. Of course you'll still be able to use today's tools to
convert PEF to DNG,  but that means you need the tools (and somewhere
to run them) as well as the raw image files.