The BS of Digital Photography

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 21:52:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:18:00PM +0100, Bob W wrote:

> > I'm surprised there isn't a setting to run the histogram from
> > the raw image.  Anyone know why that wouldn't be practical?
> >

> The Leicas apparently do it that way. In any case, when you shoot raw (eg
> dng) on them they ignore any jpeg settings you've dialled in.

That's true of almost every DSLR I know of.  The only exception would
be for sensors with analog gain stages between the CCD and the A-to-D
converter which could have separate gain for the different colours.
In practice this would have to be a sensor with four-channel readout;
the noise introduced by switching the gain for every pixel would be
prohibitive.  There was speculation that the high-end Nikons could
do this, but I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed.