The BS of Digital Photography

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Tue Oct 6 18:44:54 EDT 2009

[...]
> Tell that to Ansel Adams. Post processing is just as critical
> to the final photograph as proper film developing and
> printing. Good photographers not only post process their
> work, but they consider the post processing when they shoot
> so that they get the best final product possible.

Back in the film days this often-repeated claim used to rile me greatly, and
it still does. 'Good photographers' take good pictures. That's all it takes
to be a good photographer. You certainly don't need to be a good
post-processor to be a good photographer. Henri Cartier-Bresson, among many
others, is the proof of that.

And simple logic should tell you anyway - this silly nonsense about 'good
photographers' excludes everybody who used to shoot Kodachrome.

Conversely, being a good post-processor or a good printer does not
necessarily make a person a good photographer, as a look at any camera club
print show will demonstrate.

[...]