The BS of Digital Photography

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Oct 6 15:25:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:52:41PM -0400, David J Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Bob W <pdml at web-options.com> wrote:
> >> It seems the almost instant gratification of digital capture
> >> and the speediness of results has been eclipsed by the, OMG
> >> factor, and 'what do I have to do to adjust this image?'.
> >> Time saved by instant results is erased by time spent
> >> post-capture processing.
> >>
> >> Does it seem that way to others as well?
> >>

> > You're not obliged to do any post-processing - that's why cameras have jpeg
> > film.
>
> I was chastised on the Pentax forums for saying i usually have to post
> process just about every shot i want to keep or sell.
> He said i don't know what i';m doing if i need to post process.

Tell that to Ansel Adams. Post processing is just as critical to the
final photograph as proper film developing and printing. Good
photographers not only post process their work, but they consider the
post processing when they shoot so that they get the best final
product possible.

An obvious example would be to "over" or "under" expose to save detail
in shadows or highlights, and then correct the midrange in post
processing.

IMNSHO, whoever said that was a wanker who probably shot in green
mode.