pef vs dng

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at
Tue Oct 6 14:23:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Joseph McAllister <pentaxian at> wrote:
> On my Mac, PEF files are one single file (unless there are invisible files
> stored somewhere) and DNG files are stored as two files, one being a Data
> file (dark grey rectangle icon with DATA written across it).

PEF files are always atomic ... one single file ... but if you use
Bridge+Camera Raw or Lightroom to add IPTC metadata and perform your
adjustments, and write the adjustments out (rather than keeping them
hidden in a centralized database), the applications will create .XMP
sidecar files for each PEF file.