The BS of Digital Photography

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 13:39:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:25:32PM -0400, Graydon wrote:

> Is there a widespread sense that you're stuck actually processing all
> the raw images, or at least firing up the full converter application, to
> get some sense of what your pictures might look like?

Nope.  I just use a Shell Extension

    http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?t=3150

and I can preview my PEFs and DNGs in Windows Explorer (with a nice
tooltip-style popup showing most of the useful EXIF information).
In any case, for raw images I shoot DNG+JPG on the K10D, so I've
got a full-size JPG if I want to take a quick look at something.