The BS of Digital Photography

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 13:25:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:07:10PM -0400, Desjardins, Steve scripsit:
> [snip]  The big difference now is that I keep my favorite images on my
> ipod touch and my laptop and show them to folks and look at them
> myself.  I know this sounds silly, but it's easy to get buried under
> thousands of images that you have no real practical way to access.

While I don't carry around a video display device, these two sentences
started me thinking.

I don't know about PEF, but DNGs have a full-size (but wretched for
compression) JPEG in them, and these can be directly extracted.

draw -e *.dng

works from the command line just fine, and I'm sure there are other ways
to do this.  Which gives me a really useful, yeah, that's the whole
screen size (which is a quarter of the actual image size, so the JPEG
compression isn't an issue) thumbnail to go through and have opinions
about which of these is worth actually processing.

Is there a widespread sense that you're stuck actually processing all
the raw images, or at least firing up the full converter application, to
get some sense of what your pictures might look like?

-- Graydon