The BS of Digital Photography

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 12:05:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 12:48:49PM -0300, Steve Sharpe scripsit:
> My problem with digital is that it offers too many choices, variables
> and options. Most of the time I just want to take the picture, not
> fiddle with ISO, white balance, contrast settings, etc. etc. With
> film, once you've loaded the speed of film you want, your only choices
> are aperture and shutter speed, and you have to live with them.
>
> I know this is an oversimplification, but you get my drift.

I never (well, ok, I've done it a couple-three times to make sure I
understood how) chimp or even look at pictures on the rear LCD.  It
seems like precisely the sort of distraction that'll keep me from
noticing the *next* photographic opportunity.

I understand the whole heuristic, holistic, para-mathematical paralysis
feeling, but this is what both the green mode and hyper program are for,
or at least I think so.  One doesn't have to tackle any of the variables
one doesn't want to tackle.

-- Graydon