Astronomy Picture of the Day.

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 11:21:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:51:44PM +1300, David Mann scripsit:
> On Oct 6, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Graydon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 07:55:43PM -0400, P. J. Alling scripsit:
>>> <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0910/iss_sts128_big.jpg>
>>
>> Hi, Fred! :)
>>
>> Anyone recognize that rather desolate chunk of coastline down below?
>
> I think I do.
>
> I've never really looked from that angle but it looks to me like New
> Zealand.  In the centre is Cook Straight with Wellington just to the
> left (BTW left = North, top = East).  I get the impression they're
> looking at it from a low angle as it seems slightly distorted.  Pretty
> hazy too.
>
> On the right hand side is Banks Peninsula.  I live just next to that.

That's going to be reasonably definitive, then.

Thanks!

I was thinking "New Zealand" but I've never been in the Southern
Hemisphere, never mind New Zealand, so was dubious.

> I'm going to have to save that photo.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I saved it, too.  Don't forget to click for full resolution.

-- Graydon