The BS of Digital Photography

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Tue Oct 6 11:09:50 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 02:07:38AM -0500, Tom C scripsit:
[snip]
> Nevertheless, with the advent of digital capture, it seems or feels as
> if the process is far more complicated.  Maybe my RAW image is the
> equivalent of my transparency, but it just does not feel the same. It
> seemed that I could look at a transparency and say "Wow, that looks
> exactly like what I saw" or "Wow, I messed that one up".  With digital
> I feel much more insecure.  Was it me, the camera, the software, the
> hardware?

I deal with this one as "it was me"; that's the one I can generally do
something about.

> It seems the almost instant gratification of digital capture and the
> speediness of results has been eclipsed by the, OMG factor, and 'what
> do I have to do to adjust this image?'.  Time saved by instant results
> is erased by time spent post-capture processing.
>
> Does it seem that way to others as well?

Well, I've never shot film.

So I really don't get the emotional transition.

I find image adjustment to be straightforward; I don't have to do many,
and if I did have to do many I have batch tools available.  (Do one
carefully by hand, do the rest to those settings.)  I'm also very
thankful I don't have to learn a pile of darkroom chemistry.

-- Graydon