Astronomy Picture of the Day.

David Mann dmann at
Tue Oct 6 04:51:44 EDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Graydon wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 07:55:43PM -0400, P. J. Alling scripsit:
>> <>
> Hi, Fred! :)
> Anyone recognize that rather desolate chunk of coastline down below?

I think I do.

I've never really looked from that angle but it looks to me like New
Zealand.  In the centre is Cook Straight with Wellington just to the
left (BTW left = North, top = East).  I get the impression they're
looking at it from a low angle as it seems slightly distorted.  Pretty
hazy too.

On the right hand side is Banks Peninsula.  I live just next to that.

I'm going to have to save that photo.  Thanks for pointing it out.