The BS of Digital Photography

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Tue Oct 6 03:15:07 EDT 2009

> It seems the almost instant gratification of digital capture
> and the speediness of results has been eclipsed by the, OMG
> factor, and 'what do I have to do to adjust this image?'.
> Time saved by instant results is erased by time spent
> post-capture processing.
>
> Does it seem that way to others as well?

You're not obliged to do any post-processing - that's why cameras have jpeg
film.

In the film days I normally shot Kodachrome, largely because I had no
interest in post-processing other types of film. I didn't have the skills
and didn't understand the variables in the way that someone like Bill Robb
did, for example. However, I do have a good grasp of the variables of
digital processing, and with the right tools I find it very easy to get a
result that I'm happy with using a mechanical workflow which doesn't rely on
my defective colour vision.

> Time saved by instant results is erased by time spent
> post-capture processing.

Depends on the outcome you're after, but that's not my experience. With
prints, for example, I can get a far higher quality that satisfies me much
more quickly than I ever could by getting even a really good printer to
print from Kodachrome.

Bob