Using netbook as a photo-storage

Eactivist at aol.com Eactivist at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 21:02:03 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/5/2009 10:38:42 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
str at komkon.org writes:

Interesting report,  thanks.

I've been attracted to their size, but since I already have a  laptop I
figured I was probably better off traveling with it (re my  photos).

So glad to know I am not really missing anything.

Marnie  :-)

============
Hi All,

A netbook that costs ~$300-$400 and  typically has a 160 GB HDD
and an SD (and it looks like they are HCSD, at  least the one
in Toshiba Mini) -
can be used as a photo-storage  device.

A while ago, I was throughing in this idea, and  somebody
suggested that I should test it. Well, now I am back with the  report.

This has been tested with a vanila Toshiba Mini, WinXP  Home,
1GB RAM, stock 5400 rpm 160 HDD, and the latest LR.

I first  copied RAW files (DNG) from the card to the HDD, and
then exported them into  the LR. This worked just fine,
as long as I didn't ask to have the full-size  previews.
Creating full-size previews was _painfully_ slow, so I had  to
interrupt it and disable it for the future.

Clicking on the image  to see a full-screen preview results in
some ~1-3 second delay.
Also, -  the LR panels are not well suited for using with a typical
netbook 1024x600  display (the height is the biggest problem), -
so the solution was to  "minimize" the preview panel at the top
left, - otherwise I couldn't get to  the folders because LR doesn't
scroll the panels.
(That's something for  Adobe to think about.)

Overall, - a typical $300-$400 netbook is a  suitable solution for
storing, checking and even selectively
posting some  screenshots - but do not expect to do any
heaving processing. I haven't tried  generating web-galleries, -
I'd assume that would take some considerable  time because just
exporting screen-size (600x800) JPEGs (from full size 12MP  JPEGs)
was taking considerable time (if I very roughly estimated, -
no more than ~5-7 images per minute).

The only thing that such a PSD  doesn't do, compared, say to my
HyperDrive, - it doesn't check correctness of  copying the files.
Over the past ~8-9 years of using digital cameras, I only  encountered
some file-related errors once or twice.
so it may not  be as important.
But definitely, having  "a peace of mind" is better  than to have
"a pissed-off mind"  later.

Igor