Bizarre lens collection coincidence...

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:38:14 EDT 2009

Yes, this post makes me officially bored.   I'm sitting at my desk
looking at a collection of 5 lenses that I just happened to have sitting
there, two zooms and three primes, and regardless of focal length they
are for all intents and purposes the same physical length, well within
1/2 a centimeter anyway, from mount to filter thread, regardless of
maximum focal length, and as two of them are mirror telephotos there is
quite a range in focal length.

The Vivitar S1 35-85mm f2.8 is about 3mm longer than the smc Pentax
135mm f2.5 which is just about 5mm shorter than the smc Pentax F
70-210mm f4.0~5.6, which is exactly the same length as the Kalimar 500mm
f8.0 mirror tele, which is about 4mm longer than the Vivitar 600mm S1
Solid Cat.  It's not on the desk but the smc Pentax FA 28-200mm f3.8~5.6
falls right in that physical length category as well,  just a  about 3mm
shorter than the 70-210.  Now that I think of it, the smc Pentax [K]
135mm f3.5 is the same length as the f2.5 135.   It's kind of weird.   A
good 50% of my long glass is the same physical length when stored.

	--G. K. Chesterton