pentax photo gallery

Brian Walters supera1000 at
Mon Oct 5 18:29:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:19 -0700, "Sasha Sobol" <sasha at> wrote:
> What do you think about it?

I think it's a great, if flawed, initiative.

> Things I like so far:
> the collection of images is nice.

Agreed, although it's skewed towards the "look at me!", "look at me!" -
type images.  Some photographic themes, such as street photography,
don't get much of a look in.

> Things I hate:
> the flash interface - just ugly

I don't mind the look but it's just too slow to load.  Casual viewers
probably don't wait around long enough to view images.

> black box - the photo is accepted or rejected silently
> the quality of submissions is quite low (voting is boring)

Yes - too many submitters don't do their own culling.  They can't decide
which one of a dozen images of the same subject is best so they submit
the lot.

> I have submitted 10 photos so far and one got in:
> Which I think the best portrait I did so far, but a couple of other
> photos I submitted are probably better.
I think we've all had that experience :-)>

> What is the usual acceptance rate?

Probably around 10 - 15%, provided you critically examine your images
and only submit your best work.

> Does it worth the effort of submitting photos?

I think so.

> How would you compare ppg to, say 1x (one exposure) in terms of photos
> quality?

Hadn't heard of 1x before.  I'll check it out.

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia

-- - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow