Fleet Week 2009

Joseph McAllister pentaxian at mac.com
Mon Oct 5 18:27:06 EDT 2009

I paid money to get a seat in the front row of the seated and enclosed
area just west of Ft. Mason, north of all the kiddy rides on Marina
Green Drive. On Sunday, I paid for reserved seats, with brunch and
drinks, seating and chatting with the SF elite on the corner of MGD
and the Marina.

It wasn't worth it.

Both days, as the air show approached , more and more boats crowded
the shore, putting masts between me and the low passes.

If I had to do it again, I'd get right out to the end of any of the
three the Ft Mason buildings very early in the day, with the building
at my back, and nothing in front. Even better would be on top of any
one of the buildings or homes in the marina area.

If you know anyone in the Golden Gate Yacht Club, maybe you could get
out on their spit, past the wave organ. The breakwater for the
Maritime Museum looks real good, but I don't know if it can be
occupied. There is a short breakwater/pier just west of the Maritime
museum breakwater that looks good. The roof of the Argonaut Hotel? On
top of the structure between Beach Street and the water at the bottom
of Polk? On the roof of the ugly old apartment buildings between Van
Ness and Polk off North Point?

All of those would need prior permission and an air of authority to
get it, but you never know without asking, then signing a liability
release. And all of those would be windy and chilly, except the roofs
if the sun is shining.

GOOD LUCK!

On Oct 5, 2009, at 00:11 , gldnbearz wrote:

> Fleet Week and the Blue Angels are returning to San Francisco this
> coming weekend.  Can those who have photographed this event here in
> the past (John Celio? J McAllister?) share the locations you used?
>
> I'm usually down on the docks at Fort Mason, but it's usually shady &
> quite chilly down there as well as being so low that the boaters get
> in the view.

Joseph McAllister
pentaxian at mac.com

I couldn't remember most of what I know today
if it weren't for others sharing their knowledge
of my past on the Internet. Thank you…