pef vs dng

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 17:40:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:15:15PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Dario Bonazza <dario.bonazza at virgilio.it> wrote:
> > Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> >
> >> ALL versions of the DNG specification since LR 1.0 was released
> >> capture all of the data in the native RAW-PEF files.
> >
> > I have no reason for not believing you, but I'm sure for some long time I
> > couldn't find the metadata in DNG files, and that was truly disappointing.
>
> There's no reason for belief ... I have proof right here. I have
> *every* version of Lightroom that ever existed, including back to the
> pre-Public Betas, and I have Pentax K10D PEF and DNG files from when
> the K10D first shipped. I can't explain why you had some oddball
> problem.

I can.  There was, I believe, one particular version of Adobe Camera Raw
that couldn't pull apart the Pentax MakerNote tags in a K10D DNG file (I
believe it was a matter of not recognising the manufacturer prefix string
in the tag; Adobe expected to see a particular string to identify Pentax,
but the K10D DNG files contained a different string).  No data was lost;
the MakerNote tag was preserved in the DNG file, and the next release of
Adobe Camera Raw fixed the problem.

This should never have been a problem with Lightroom - by the time that
Lightroom V1 was released (or even the final beta 4.1 pre-release) ACR
3.5 had been released, and that's the version of Camera Raw that I used
with Lightroom V1.x (and with my K10D DNGs since December 2006) until I
moved to Camera Raw 5.4 on my new machine.