pef vs dng

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:04:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Matthew Montgomery
<matthew at electricjunk.com> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:05 PM, John Francis wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:32:26AM -0500, Matthew Montgomery wrote:
>>>
>>> At least with my K10D, I found that the lens metadata wasn't retained
>>> when shooting DNG in-camera.
>>
>> That is incorrect.  There is nothing in a PEF that isn't in a DNG file.
>
> Interesting. Perhaps a more apt description is at the time I was using the
> K10D when I shot DNG in-camera no lens metadata was able to be read by
> Lightroom. If I shot PEF in-camera and converted to DNG during import into
> Lightroom, the lens metadata was available. Based on this, I just left it on
> PEF and haven't looked back since.

I just looked back to my K10D captures, which for the first few months
(until LR 1.0 was released in Feb or March 2007) were all captured as
DNG files. All the lens data is there, but for 43 files (out of 5500);
all of which are PSD, JPEG or TIFF files where I presume the EXIF data
was stripped.

I do recall that for some of these earliest K10D files, I had to tell
LR to "Read metadata from files" as the Lightroom v4.1 (Public Beta)
that I'd originally been using didn't read in the LensType parameter
correctly on the K10D's DNG files. All LR v1.x versions did.

ALL versions of the DNG specification since LR 1.0 was released
capture all of the data in the native RAW-PEF files.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com