pef vs dng

Matthew Montgomery matthew at electricjunk.com
Mon Oct 5 15:06:39 EDT 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:05 PM, John Francis wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:32:26AM -0500, Matthew Montgomery wrote:
>> At least with my K10D, I found that the lens metadata wasn't retained
>> when shooting DNG in-camera.
>
> That is incorrect.  There is nothing in a PEF that isn't in a DNG
> file.

Interesting. Perhaps a more apt description is at the time I was using
the K10D when I shot DNG in-camera no lens metadata was able to be
read by Lightroom. If I shot PEF in-camera and converted to DNG during
import into Lightroom, the lens metadata was available. Based on this,
I just left it on PEF and haven't looked back since.

This would have been the version of Lightroom (1.x) that was out when
the K10D was the current model and when I first tested. Since the K10D
DNGs aren't compressed I was "converting" the in-camera DNG via the
import. Perhaps I was hitting some bug? It was previously confirmed
that this didn't occur with the K20D so I just tried it. My in-camera
DNG was saved to a 24.2 MB file. Upon import/conversion using
Lightroom v2.4 the resulting DNG is 14.7 MB. All the metadata is there
as one would expect.

I don't have my K10D anymore but my guess, based on your description,
is that I was running into something with *that* version of Lightroom.
It certainly has improved on the EXIF front as when I first got the
35mm limited it didn't recognize the lens ID but this was fixed in
either v2.3 or v2.4 if I recall.

Glad to know there really wasn't any missing info from the camera
version. That was sort of shocking to me at the time. :-)

--
Matthew Montgomery
matthew at electricjunk.com