pef vs dng

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 14:05:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:32:26AM -0500, Matthew Montgomery wrote:
> At least with my K10D, I found that the lens metadata wasn't retained
> when shooting DNG in-camera.

That is incorrect.  There is nothing in a PEF that isn't in a DNG file.

The real problem is that there is no EXIF standard for recording lens
metatadata (other than focal length and aperture, of course).  In order
to be able to extract the lens ID coding from the Pentax Private tags
you need software that knows how to decode the Pentax MakerNote tags.
Any piece of software that knows how to decode PEFs will be able to do
this, but it's quite possible to write software that knows enough about
DNGs to convert the RAW format without understanding any MakerNote tags.

I've only ever used DNG as my RAW file format with my K10D, but I can
see all the lens metadata in Lightroom for my DNG files (and for JPEGs,
too, which also requires software that can decode the MakerNote tags).