pef vs dng

Tim Øsleby maritimtim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:01:52 EDT 2009

2009/10/5 Dario Bonazza <dario.bonazza at virgilio.it>:
> Graydon wrote:
>
>> Point.
>>
>> Though, really, DNG on the K20D is 329 DNG files to the 8 GB SD card.  8
>> GB cards are well under 30 CAD per these days.  (Yeah, I buy no-name
>> from small computer shops on College St., but never mind; the point is
>> that an 8 GB card is not expensive.)
>>
>> I've managed to fill two 8 GB cards precisely once; my brain gives out
>> around 600 exposures, as a general rule.  To get to a difference between
>> DNG and PEF storage that adds up to a single 8 GB SD card, you need to
>> take a thousand shots or more on each photographic outing.
>>
>> This does not strike me as an operative difference; maybe I don't take
>> very many shots, I don't know.
>
> What about hard disk space and extra time for backup? I already have four
> USB external drives connected to my PC (2x500GB + 2x 1TB), and I'm short of
> space, so I'm going to add two more USB units very soon (one unit being the
> backup for the other one). At this shooting pace, I'm adding a couple drives
> a year. Within 10 years from now, I'm planning to have 24 external drives in
> my small room. Of course, I'm going to do something for shrinking that into
> fewer larger units, but I'm afraid of the time for managing copying all
> those data sooner or later. Even before figuring the whole bill, I tend to
> not waste hard disk space.
>
> Dario

In theory, you should have a delete button at your keyboard. I humbly
suggest you use it before you drown in files Dario.

Some months ago I had about 10.000 files in my archive. Had absolutely
no idea what was in there. After some heavy editing and deleting I'm
down to 5.000, and now I know. I can assure you, that's a wonderful
feeling.

--
MaritimTim

http://maritimtim.blogspot.com/