Using netbook as a photo-storage

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Mon Oct 5 13:37:55 EDT 2009

Hi All,

A netbook that costs ~$300-$400 and typically has a 160 GB HDD
and an SD (and it looks like they are HCSD, at least the one
in Toshiba Mini) -
can be used as a photo-storage device.

A while ago, I was throughing in this idea, and somebody
suggested that I should test it. Well, now I am back with the report.

This has been tested with a vanila Toshiba Mini, WinXP Home,
1GB RAM, stock 5400 rpm 160 HDD, and the latest LR.

I first copied RAW files (DNG) from the card to the HDD, and
then exported them into the LR. This worked just fine,
as long as I didn't ask to have the full-size previews.
Creating full-size previews was _painfully_ slow, so I had to
interrupt it and disable it for the future.

Clicking on the image to see a full-screen preview results in
some ~1-3 second delay.
Also, - the LR panels are not well suited for using with a typical
netbook 1024x600 display (the height is the biggest problem), -
so the solution was to "minimize" the preview panel at the top
left, - otherwise I couldn't get to the folders because LR doesn't
scroll the panels.
(That's something for Adobe to think about.)

Overall, - a typical $300-$400 netbook is a suitable solution for
storing, checking and even selectively
posting some screenshots - but do not expect to do any
heaving processing. I haven't tried generating web-galleries, -
I'd assume that would take some considerable time because just
exporting screen-size (600x800) JPEGs (from full size 12MP JPEGs)
was taking considerable time (if I very roughly estimated, -
no more than ~5-7 images per minute).

The only thing that such a PSD doesn't do, compared, say to my
HyperDrive, - it doesn't check correctness of copying the files.
Over the past ~8-9 years of using digital cameras, I only encountered
some file-related errors once or twice.
so it may not be as important.
But definitely, having  "a peace of mind" is better than to have
"a pissed-off mind" later.

Igor