pef vs dng

Dario Bonazza dario.bonazza at virgilio.it
Mon Oct 5 10:38:08 EDT 2009

Graydon wrote:

> Point.
>
> Though, really, DNG on the K20D is 329 DNG files to the 8 GB SD card.  8
> GB cards are well under 30 CAD per these days.  (Yeah, I buy no-name
> from small computer shops on College St., but never mind; the point is
> that an 8 GB card is not expensive.)
>
> I've managed to fill two 8 GB cards precisely once; my brain gives out
> around 600 exposures, as a general rule.  To get to a difference between
> DNG and PEF storage that adds up to a single 8 GB SD card, you need to
> take a thousand shots or more on each photographic outing.
>
> This does not strike me as an operative difference; maybe I don't take
> very many shots, I don't know.

What about hard disk space and extra time for backup? I already have four
USB external drives connected to my PC (2x500GB + 2x 1TB), and I'm short of
space, so I'm going to add two more USB units very soon (one unit being the
backup for the other one). At this shooting pace, I'm adding a couple drives
a year. Within 10 years from now, I'm planning to have 24 external drives in
my small room. Of course, I'm going to do something for shrinking that into
fewer larger units, but I'm afraid of the time for managing copying all
those data sooner or later. Even before figuring the whole bill, I tend to
not waste hard disk space.

Dario