pef vs dng

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Mon Oct 5 10:21:40 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:12:09PM +0200, Dario Bonazza scripsit:
> Graydon wrote:

>>> Larger files (22MB vs 16MB), hence more SD/hard disk memory required.
>>
>> That depends -- didn't Bill Robb report that the K-7 was doing
>> compressed DNG files now?
>
> Larry asked about he K20D, not the K-7.

Point.

Though, really, DNG on the K20D is 329 DNG files to the 8 GB SD card.  8
GB cards are well under 30 CAD per these days.  (Yeah, I buy no-name
from small computer shops on College St., but never mind; the point is
that an 8 GB card is not expensive.)

I've managed to fill two 8 GB cards precisely once; my brain gives out
around 600 exposures, as a general rule.  To get to a difference between
DNG and PEF storage that adds up to a single 8 GB SD card, you need to
take a thousand shots or more on each photographic outing.

This does not strike me as an operative difference; maybe I don't take
very many shots, I don't know.

-- Graydon