OT: Computer Question

Joseph Tainter jtainter at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 4 21:34:42 EDT 2009

Sorry for the OT question, but the knowledge on this list is incredible.
I hope someone can help me.

I have a Dell laptop running XP. On Wednesday I installed a new, 19",
1280x1024 external Viewsonic monitor. At the same time I installed a
little utility called Desktop Restore, which restores the position of
your icons if they get rearranged. All seemed well until
today--everything seemed to be working fine.

Today I was using Firefox to search for a hotel in Stockholm. Suddenly
Zone Alarm popped up a window saying something was trying to access the
internet. I clicked on "Deny," but Zone Alarm wouldn'd respond and I
couldn't get the message off my screen. So I rebooted the computer.
That's when the problems started. Here they are:

1. My 1280 x 1024 monitor will only show in 1024 by 768. I cannot get it
to switch to the correct resolution and stick.

2. Now the monitor on the laptop also comes up in 1024 x 768 when I boot
up. This monitor I can get to the correct resolution (1280 x 800) by
manually setting it in Properties. But I shouldn't have to do that.

3. Suddenly System Restore no longer works. I cannot go back to a
previous restore point.

4. So I ran AVG Antivirus 8.5, after first updating it. I had it scan
the entire drive. It could not find any viruses.

Can anyone think of what may be going on? What should I try?

Thanks,

Joe