What would Jung say?

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sun Oct 4 14:23:58 EDT 2009

A feature I hear about a lot in point and shoots is facial
recognition. They can recognize someone's face in the photograph and
focus on it.

There are times that I'd settle for a feature to ignore microphones
and drum cymbals. I had some free time Friday evening, so I went to
see some friends play a dinner show at a local restaurant. I'm not one
to pass up an opportunity to practice my photo skills, so I shot a few
frames.

Even when I'm manually focusing, I have a habit of relying on the
"focus lock" lights, and have a bad habit of forgetting that the
camera may be looking at something different than I am.

One of the things I do try to do is vary what I do during a shoot in
tough light, that way if one thing ends up not working, then something
else might. I'm noticing an interesting tradeoff.

When I shoot at 3200, I have to throw away a lot fewer shots from
subject motion blur. But even though I get a lot fewer keepers at 800,
the ones I do keep, look a lot better.