Better Histograms for raw shooters

George Sinos gsinos at
Sun Oct 4 10:31:02 EDT 2009

This very short article by Ray Maxwell has been posted over on

Most of us know that the histogram is not generated from the raw
image, but from the embedded jpeg preview.  We've often discussed that
this can give you a slightly misleading indicator of your exposure.

Maxwell suggests decreasing the contrast setting and describes how
this can make the histogram reflect the exposure more accurately for
raw shooter.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.  I'd be curious to
hear the results if anyone gets a chance to experiment before I do.

See you later, gs
George Sinos
gsinos at