Better Histograms for raw shooters

George Sinos gsinos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 10:31:02 EDT 2009

This very short article by Ray Maxwell has been posted over on
Luminous-Landscape.

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/right-hista.shtml>

Most of us know that the histogram is not generated from the raw
image, but from the embedded jpeg preview.  We've often discussed that
this can give you a slightly misleading indicator of your exposure.

Maxwell suggests decreasing the contrast setting and describes how
this can make the histogram reflect the exposure more accurately for
raw shooter.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.  I'd be curious to
hear the results if anyone gets a chance to experiment before I do.

See you later, gs
--
George Sinos
gsinos at att.net