So Free is Free, I guess.

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at
Sat Oct 3 11:34:42 EDT 2009

I tend to be the guy that everyone thinks of when they get an unknown
piece of photo gear.  I have a collection of crappy $2.00 garage sale
cameras that various friends and acquaintances have gifted to me, after
finding them forgotten in a closet, basement or attic.  I figure I'll
eventually throw most of them out, as most have cloudy lenses or stuck
shutters, (and I have enough working Krappy Kameras that I never use).
Sometimes I'll even turn down a gift if the Camera in question is too
good, a nice Spotmatic comes to mind.  I'd never have used it, I barely
use the Spot F and ESII I have, and I hoped the gifter would actually
load up a roll of film and maybe shoot with it.

Well to the point.  Yesterday, I was gifted with a Kalamar 500mm mirror
telephoto lens.  It's probably a crappy lens, but at least it mounts on
my K20D unlike the Vivitar S1 600mm.  It's raining today so I haven't
had a real chance to test the thing, but even without high expectations,
free is free and on the plus side, the build level is more than adequate.

	--G. K. Chesterton