OT: Quote of the day

Doug Franklin jehosephat at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 3 10:51:22 EDT 2009

Joseph McAllister wrote:
> OMG> In the inter-sector gap? In my day we never even considered the
> ISG. I do remember discussions about being able to buffer enough read to
> do a linear read for small files.

I misspoke slightly ... there was a day when the fastest *PCs* *had*
*disk* *interface* *hardware* *that* couldn't deal with a sector in the
ISG, so the disks were interleaved such that physically adjacent sectors
had non-sequential sector numbers.  A 1:3 ratio was common, so the
sectors would be numbered 147258369 for example instead of 123456789.

> Giving it some thought just now, I guess the 7200rpm hard drives, even
> 10,000rpm drives, read sequentially as well.

They do now. :-)  I'm referring to the age of the PC/XT and PC/AT (early
to mid 1980s) and before.  Specifically the era of ST-506 and MFM as the
most common disk interface standards.  Probably 3600rpm or maybe 5400rpm
drives, but I don't really remember.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)