OT: Quote of the day

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Sat Oct 3 04:50:47 EDT 2009

> >> How about we all take a look at what we've got, and free
> the wrap to
> >> it's modern equivalent, the window size dictated wrap.
> >>

> > That's a bad idea. Readability is severely reduced when the
> lines are
> > too long - it's why newspapers and magazines are printed in columns.
> > Optimum
> > readability is about 40-70 characters per line.
>

> I'd wager that if you had auto-wrap engaged, you could size
> your windows however you want, AND the URLs would remain
> links after they turn the corner.

That's confusing two separate issues. Resizing the window is the wrong way
to achieve optimum line length for readability - you might as well tell
newspapers to supply papers one column wide.

Forcing a link to remain a link when it wraps is a different problem and is
about finding a way for the reader to recognise it as a link. Someone else
mentioned wrapping links in <>. I didn't know that the purpose of that was
to prevent readers from breaking links up, and I will start using it - it's
a lot easier than going to tinyurl.com.

My email client is MS Outlook 2003. I can't work out how to set it up with
format=flowed. As soon as I figure that out I will set it up.

Bob